A few years ago, I shadowed the staff at Wisconsin State Fair’s Cream Puff Pavilion for a story. That is a well-oiled machine, let me tell you. There’s no question why the cream puff is the single most identifiable State Fair food. This year, the fair has a multitude of new food offerings – more than the average person could tackle in one festival’s run. Maybe. Our digital editor Dan Shafer put this challenge to me: Of the new State Fair foods, pick the 5 you’d loosen your belt for, and the 5 that are better off in someone else’s belly.
1. Bacon Bottom Porker Pizza, topped with pork rinds.
2. Bacon-flavored cheese corn.
3. Glazed donut grilled cheese, made with American cheese.
4. Kangaroo burger with peanut butter (this is my problem with it, PB) and bacon.
5. Deep-fried olives on a stick. Why deep-fry a perfectly good olive?
1. Beer-battered, pretzel-coated cheese curds, because cheese curds are simply squeakably awesome.
2. “Crème de la Crepe” – a crepe filled with sour cherry and salted caramel gelatos, whipped cream and chocolate sauce.
3. Parmesan truffle tater tots.
4. Schweinefleisch frites (shown in photo) – beer-battered pork belly fries with hefe-weissbier sauce!
5. Wis-Cone-Sin – a Miller Bakery soft pretzel cone filled with red cabbage, chicken schnitzel and a homemade potato pancake topped with crispy cinnamon apple straws and an Oktoberfest beer reduction.
See the full list of new State Fair foods here. The fair runs August 6-16.