Ease into the workweek with these newsy bits.
- Rep. Samantha Kerkman (R-Salem) would like to criminalize defrauding the WEDC, as well other levels of governmental fraud. Kerkman is part of the legislative committee that is reviewing the audit of the oft-troubled jobs agency.
- Milwaukee is experiencing an increase in “tax foreclosures,” reports the Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service, and some say it’s a result of long-term poverty. In our January issue last year, Staff Photographer Adam Ryan Morris and Senior Editor Matt Hrodey examined the city’s foreclosure crisis.
- Not everyone is excited for the planned Sheboygan-area Kohler golf course, including environmentalists concerned about a nearby wetland area and others worried about damage to Indian burial mounds.
- Pope Francis has announced changes that would make the annulment process faster and easier for married Catholics.
- Prepare your bingo cards and drinking games: there will be a second GOP presidential debate next week on CNN.