What we’re reading on this Friday morning.
- The Journal Sentinel took video of last night’s tense meeting of the Fire and Police Commission, which considered the appeal of Christopher Manney, the police officer fired after the Dontre Hamilton shooting in Red Arrow Park.
- Republican state Sen. Mary Lazich of New Berlin was voted in as Senate President on Thursday, and Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, reelected to the post, predicted a small increase in choice school enrollment if the state lifts the statewide cap.
- After all the debate at the state level, local zoning ordinances could hold up the proposed iron ore mine in Iron County.
- A National Journal story concluded that not only is Paul Ryan not preparing to run for president in 2016, he’s thinking about leaving Congress (in the next 10 years).
- An ambitious study of insect genetics has concluded that lice are an evolutionary newcomer.