What we’re reading:
- The U.S. women’s soccer team defeated Australia yesterday in the women’s World Cup tournament. The team takes on the Swedes on Friday.
- Politico Magazine, an outlet that seems to be dropping into Wisconsin politics with increasing frequency, has noticed some tension between Wisconsin’s Republican legislators and Gov. Walker.
- Some of those Republican legislators have been circulating a bill, according to the Wisconsin State Journal, that calls for disbanding the independent Legislative Audit Bureau, and replacing it with inspectors who would work within the agencies they’re auditing. This proposal hasn’t gone over well with the Democrats.
- Authorities in New York are still searching for the two convicted killers who escaped from a state prison last week. The prisoners executed their escape with power tools that were used to drill various holes in walls and drains, some handiwork that eventually took them underground where they later emerged about a block outside of the prison.
- The Assembly will take up a Republican-backed bill that seeks to end the 48-hour waiting period for purchasing handguns. Proponents of the bill say the waiting period creates an unnecessary burden on people who would like to buy a handgun, while opponents say the waiting period is justified if it reduces gun violence.