Good morning, and welcome to the week.
- An enormous business deal was officially announced this morning. Wisconsin’s largest public company, Johnson Controls, is merging with Tyco International. Johnson Controls shareholders will own 56 percent of the company, current CEO Alex Molinaroli will lead the company at its outset, and the corporate headquarters will move to Cork, Ireland.
- Arne Duncan, the U.S. Secretary of Education, called Milwaukee’s education problems “a national disgrace.”
- Mayor Tom Barrett, Police Chief Ed Flynn and Common Council President Michael Murphy spoke yesterday about Milwaukee’s sharp increase in car thefts.
- Add Alex Lasry’s name to the list of people who have said the Milwaukee Theatre, which just sold naming rights to MillerCoors, should be torn down.
- The Super Bowl is set: the Denver Broncos face the Carolina Panthers. Vegas has Carolina as the early favorite.