Unsurprisingly, couples looking to save money are throwing smaller ceremonies, or doing away with them entirely. “More couples are booking courthouses, or intimate celebrations with a few friends and family members,” says Scott Patrick, the owner of Cream City Weddings.
Wedding venues are beginning to see the appeal, too. The Enchanted Barn in Hillsdale now offers a weekday “Elope With Us” package for a fraction of what a more lavish weekend ceremony would cost.
Beyond saving money, some couples want to avoid the stress of a big ceremony or “a long, drawn-out planning period,” Patrick says. Making those thousands of old fashioneds the cherry on top of a great idea.
7 Facts About Wedding Gift-Giving
1) $160: Average amount shelled out by guests who give cash
2) Americans spend about $15 billion a year on wedding registry gifts.
3) Kitchen appliances top gift lists. And the Kitchenaid stand mixer is king.
4) 48%: couples who register with one or two companies
5) 15%: couples who register with five or more companies
6) 27% of couples admit to secretly removing registry items.
7) 34% of couples return at least six gifts.