This year at the Milwaukee Film Festival, I’m going to concentrate on movies with Milwaukee connections. What the heck – that’s the name of the fest, right?
This documentary, a festival favorite at Sundance this year, is a loving look at the 1,700 sometimes-zany high school geniuses from 78 countries competing at the annual International Science and Engineering Fair. It’s co-produced by Milwaukee native Cristina Costantini, daughter of Mario and Cathy of La Lune Collection furniture in Riverwest; Cristina was a fair competitor when she was a student at University School of Milwaukee.
- Thursday, Oct. 18 | 7 p.m. | Oriental Theatre Main
- Sunday, Oct. 21 | 11 a.m. | Oriental Theatre East
This showing is the premiere of a compilation of 88Nine Radio’s web-based series of “frank, unscripted conversation about segregation, racism and discrimination from a diverse pool of Milwaukeeans (activists, artists, students and historians all participate).” I’m seeing this because this is the work we have to do now in this city.
- Saturday, Oct. 27 | 3:30 p.m. | Oriental Theatre Main
I’m excited to see this collection of short subjects, including The Chase Key, a 17-minute investigation of the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office; Three Neighborhoods: People, Place, Purpose, a 12-minute short by Wes Tank and longtime local observer Adam Carr; and The Water Will Carry Us Home, a parable of the Middle Passage by Gabrielle Tesfaye.
- Monday, Oct. 22 | 8 p.m. | Oriental Theatre Main
This documentary spotlights the storefront on East Center Street that is home to a neighborhood radio station and serves as a gathering place for the UW-Milwaukee Department of Film community.
- Friday, Oct. 19 | 4 p.m. | Times Cinema
- Wednesday, Oct. 24 | 6:30 p.m. | Oriental Theatre East
- Wednesday, Oct. 31 | 4 p.m. | Oriental Theatre East
And just for fun, this goofy-sounding, black-and-white comedy by Ryland Tews, according to the Milwaukee Film website, “harkens back to creature features of yore with a briny aesthetic all its own.”
- Wednesday, Oct. 24 | 3:30 p.m.| Oriental Theatre West
- Monday, Oct. 29 | 9 p.m. | Jan Serr Studio Cinema
- Wednesday, Oct. 31 | 9:45 p.m.| Oriental Theatre Main