Bookstores filled with cats, Instagrammable views from the Riverwalk and theaters with shooting stars. What's there not to love about Milwaukee?
We asked writer and June 2017 issue contributor Elizabeth Elving to share with us the reasons she loves Milwaukee. Here are her picks:
1. Movie theaters: Before moving to Milwaukee I had mostly stopped seeing movies in theaters, favoring the “I’ll watch it on Netflix eventually” mindset. But the historic theaters found in Milwaukee make going to the movies exciting again. The Oriental Theatre is gorgeous and I love the starry sky ceiling at the Avalon Theater with its occasional shooting stars.
2. Bookstores: I especially love Boswell Book Company for new books and Downtown Books for used. Boswell has comfy chairs and Downtown Books has cats. Yes – live cats roaming the store. Both have an excellent selection of all different genres, including comics/graphic novels.
3. The Riverwalk: The Riverwalk takes you right through downtown, yet it still feels as though it is a bit of an escape from the heart of the city. It also offers postcard-ready views of the city from the bridges.
4. Milwaukee Public Market: First off, the space itself is a unique piece of architecture located in the Third Ward. The Market is fun to peruse and is the perfect place to get a quick lunch or coffee when you’re in the area. I relied heavily on it for holiday gift shopping last year and plan to do so again.
5. Arts: I’m leaving this super vague because the variety found in Milwaukee is what I love about it. Milwaukee has so many talented people doing creative things in big, small, and open spaces all over town. The work they do makes daily life a little more extraordinary for the rest of us.
Elizabeth Elving is a contributor to our June, 2017 “City Guide” issue, writing for this month’s Feature Story, “14 Weekends of Summer: Your Guide to Milwaukee Summer Fun” with “Where to go Antiquing in Milwaukee.”