Milwaukee Magazine, along with presenting sponsor Quad, were proud to present our first-ever Unity Awards. We honored six deserving individuals and organizations who are working toward the mission of building a better, more united Milwaukee.
The honorees included:
- Ex Fabula connects community through the art of true, personal storytelling, with a particular emphasis on centering and elevating the experiences of women, people of color and those with disabilities.
- Tenia Fisher is an accomplished distance runner whose F.E.A.R. (Forget Everything and Run) program aims to give people of color a welcoming support group and safe group to participate in their favorite sport.
- Pardeep Kaleka has channeled personal trauma into bringing people together, including leading the Interfaith Conference of Greater Milwaukee and The Zeidler Group.
- Nurturing Diversity Partners specializes in beginning difficult conversations with lectures, workshops and a dialogue series to cross racial, ethnic, religious, generational and other cultural divides.
- Jose Trejo, principal of South Division High School, has dedicated his career to ensuring people immigrating to Milwaukee have equal rights to education.
- alida cardós whaley is a grassroots coalition builder, helping to organize Ayuda Mutua MKE as well as coordinating maker markets, doula training, cultural performances and more.
You can read more about all of the panelists here. Following is their discussion about the work being done here in Milwaukee: