You can’t beat the thrill of the find, especially when it’s under $5. Secondhand shopping helps you score unique items that are sustainable too.
These tips from pro-thrifter Emma Fisher will help you gear up for your next hunt:
1. Look over the whole store, not just your size or gender. Treasures are waiting in the most unlikely of places.
2. The burbs are a better bet than city stores because there’s less competition and more elderly people donating old clothes. (Hello cute dresses from the ‘60s!)
3. Discount days are your best friend.
[alert type=white]Bonus points: Try the bins. These are the stores that sell used items in bulk by the pound. You’ll have to dig for your prizes (it’s not for the faint of heart), but it’s worth it.[/alert]
4. If you’re making a day of it, bring rations. It’s easy to get hangry when you’ve been searching for hours without finding anything. Perseverance is key.
5. Check the condition thoroughly. Nothing worse than coming home to see that your awesome find has egregious pit stains.