Visitors willing to climb the steep hill leading to Humboldt Park’s band shell are treated to beautiful music, and a mellow vibe, at Chill on the Hill.
The skies may have been overcast, but the mood at Humboldt Park was bright on Tuesday, June 20. Thousands gathered to see the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra play a free concert for Chill on The Hill, Bay View’s Tuesday night concert series in the park’s band shell.
Now in its 13th year, the event has cemented its reputation as a slightly chiller (it really does live up to its name) alternative to Jazz in the Park. Milwaukeeans of all ages and backgrounds turned out on June 20 to enjoy the warm weather and warmer atmosphere. And of course the music.
Assistant conductor Yaniv Dinurdeftly led the assembled musicians through a series of crowd-pleasing songs, alternating lesser-known classical numbers with hits from popular movies and musicals. A spirited rendition of “The Raiders Song” from Indiana Jones even earned a standing ovation.
Toward the end of the evening, Dinurdeftly took the stage with a representative from the Bay View Neighborhood Association to announce that MSO will be returning to Bay View again next year, for a new artist-in-residence program that will see the symphony’s classically trained musicians installed in bars and restaurants throughout the neighborhood.
And the loudest cheer of the night erupted at the announcement that the MSO will be returning to play at Chill on the Hill again next year.
In the meantime, here’s what the rest of the event’s summer lineup looks like:
- June 27: American Legion Band with Reagan High School Jazz Experience and Riverside High School Jazz Combo
- July 4: No concert – Independence Day
- July 11: Abby Jeanne, Fainting Room with Bryn Lorraine Johnson
- July 18: Charles Walker Band with Sam Guyten
- July 25: Devil Met Contention, Cow Ponies with Bruce Dean
- Aug. 1: Colors of the Alphabet, MYSO Jazz Ensemble with Slimabean
- Aug. 8: Max & the Invaders, The Revomatics with Hi/Jack
- Aug. 15: Piles, Dramatic Lovers with Mathew Haeffel
- Aug. 22: Misha Siegfried and His Band, Don Linke with Olivia Gonzales Quartet
- Aug. 29: De La Buena with Sara and Kenny