This documentary is a look at the legendary New York City jazz record label Blue Note, founded by two men who escaped Nazi Germany in 1939 and became pioneers in the industry, recording legends like Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Thelonious Monk.
- Tuesday, Oct. 23 | 3 p.m. | Oriental Theater West
- Sunday, Oct. 28 | 12:30 p.m. | Times Cinema
- Wednesday, Oct. 31 | 4 p.m. | Fox-Bay Cinema Grill
A story of a Sri-Lankan-immigrant-turned-international-pop-star, this film focuses on the struggle, the success and the controversy that seems to always embody the London-based rapper M.I.A.
- Friday, Oct. 19 | 6:30 p.m | Jan Serr Studio Cinema
- Sunday, Oct. 21 | 4:30 p.m. | Oriental Theater East
- Thursday, Nov. 1 | 5:45 p.m. | Oriental Theater East
A documentary on the influential and revolutionary live music television program Soul!, which aired during a turbulent time in American history (1968-1973) and provided a much-needed platform for up-and-coming black artists and big names like Stevie Wonder, Earth, Wind and Fire, Al Green, Gladys Knight and more.
- Thursday, Oct. 25 | 4 p.m. | Oriental Theatre Main
- Sunday, Oct. 28 | 9 p.m. | Avalon Theater
- Wednesday, Oct. 31 | 6 p.m. | Jan Serr Studio Cinema
The no-rules, confrontational world of battle rap meets a white graduate student (Disney Channel alum Calum Worthy) who gets caught up in the competition after choosing to write his thesis on the subject. The film (which was produced by Eminem) is not for the easily offended as the lyrical tangents devolve into the most provocative subjects.
- Wednesday, Oct. 24 | 9 p.m. | Oriental Theatre East
- Wednesday, Oct. 31 | 9:30 p.m. | Oriental Theatre East
A yearly tradition, this screening is a collection of the best local music videos. This year features work from 13 different Milwaukee bands, including Amanda Huff, Von Alexander, Platinnum Boys and Calliope. The winner (voted on by a jury of WMSE DJ Erin Wolf, Cactus Club booker Kelsey Kauffman and R&B singer Lex Allen) earns a $5000 prize.
- Tuesday, Oct. 30 | 9:30 p.m. | Oriental Theater Main
A poignant deep-dive into the grand intellect and exceptional creative process of Japanese composer Ryuichi Sakamoto, who scored such epic films as 1987’s The Last Emperor and 2015’s The Revenant.
- Monday, Oct. 22 | 9 p.m. | Avalon Theater
- Tuesday, Oct. 30 | 3:30 p.m. | Avalon Theater
- Thursday, Nov. 1 | 12:30 p.m. | Times Cinema
A Milwaukee Film staple (and almost always the most enjoyable screening), the infamous Talking Heads music film brings festival-goers to their feet every year.
- Saturday, Oct. 27 | 9 p.m. | Oriental Theater Main