THERE ARE MULTIPLE WAYS TO DO IT. And here’s a sure-fire way that combines two cooking methods: poaching and grilling.
1. Start by buying raw bratwurst from your butcher (no pre-cooked crap).
2. Get the coals on your grill good and hot.
3. Place your brats in a disposable aluminum pan, add chopped onion, sweet peppers, sauerkraut or whatever you like. Pour a bottle of beer over the sausages and veggies (taking a few sips of the beer first is only natural).
4. Place the pan over the grill grate and poach for about 15 minutes with the grill lid on. At this point, the temperature with a meat thermometer should read 160 degrees, though that puncture will cost you precious, tasty juices on the grill.
5. Take the pan off the grill and place the brats directly on top of the grate. Grill for 5-7 minutes, turning a few times to make sure each side is brown and crusty.
6 Serve with the reserved poached vegetables.