An intriguing beverage order will be ready for consumption starting Feb. 5. That’s the date that Discourse: a Liquid Workshop plans to open inside the East Side food hall Crossroads Collective (2238 N. Farwell Ave.). Previously, the craft coffee drink business – which started in Sister Bay in 2017 – has held pop-ups in the MKE area, including at Crossroads. With this local, open-daily destination, the business plans to plant roots here. Discourse’s founder and creative director, Ryan Castelaz, is a Milwaukee native.
“We are so, so excited for this next chapter in the Discourse story,” said Castelaz, via press release, of the business he shares with partners Olivia Molter, director of design, and Sean Liu, director of operations.
The menu will offer eight “craft” offerings including imaginative takes on staples like caramel and vanilla lattes, to something more out-of-the-box like the Moonwater, which combines espresso, honey, Ceylon cinnamon, tellicherry black pepper and applewood smoked sea salt. The drinks will rotate every three months. Castelaz and his partners also plan to add a themed “art” drinks series, which will will rotate monthly, spotlighting seasonal, sustainably sourced ingredients and “designed to showcase Discourse’s spirit of innovation.”
Other drinks on the opening menu:
- Parisian | matcha / blueberry / mango / passionfruit / lime
- Channel Orange | espresso / smoked & oaked vanilla / orange oleo saccharum / bittercube blackstrap bitters / candied orange powder
- Motorhead | espresso / pork fat & apple caramel / chai concentrate / root beer bitters / apple powder / smoked sea salt
- What Winter Forgot | espresso / house cocoa blend / chai concentrate / ras el hanout / orange
- Pappy | espresso / bourbon barrel aged maple / black lava salt / atomized bourbon
- Phoenix | sous vide coffee / fluffy orange juice / fennel / almond
- Crenn | cocoa butter sphere / apple cider / caramel / candied pecan
Discourse’s hours-to-be: daily 9 a.m.-4 p.m.