There are a few surefire signs of summer in Milwaukee and Memorial Day isn’t one of them. In my mind, Summerfest signals the real beginning of summer. And in honor of the upcoming 11 days of the best music and worst fashion you will see, here are a few of my favorite summer fashion trends.
1. Fringe: Claire Hanan called it in last month’s issue and I second that emotion. Fringe is in and I am coveting a fringed bag. It’s a playful embellishment that adds just the right amount of bohemian to even a polished look.
Scoop up this big black tote with fringe detail to carry it all ($142) at Lizzibeth (550 E. Menomonee St.) or this smaller neutral cross body to keep your hands free for festival going ($49) at Urban Outfitters (1937 E. Kenilworth Pl.).
2. Rompers: Who doesn’t love two for the price of one? Even better, no need to find a matching top and bottom. I prefer to the utilitarian look like this one from Hudson ($239) at Stephanie Horne Boutique (244 N. Broadway).
3. Denim Dresses: A soft chambray feels and looks good on any skin tone. I like the feminine embellishments on this one and the cinched waist for a flattering fit (on sale now! for $119) from Anthropologie (301 N. Broadway).
4. Birkenstocks: Give an old staple a chic new update with a cross strap and metallic finish. Find the Mayari sandal in silver or rose gold ($100) at shoo (241 N. Broadway)
5. Milwaukee-themed tees: You find them everywhere you turn. Brew City has some catchy slogans and the Milwaukee Home tee is a must have, but I am partial to the Too Much Metal for One Hand (207 E. Buffalo St.) designs in the V-neck, super-soft viscose-cotton blend. Here is his latest design ($25) created in honor of Milwaukee Day 4/14.
Photos by the author.