The new boutique hotel in Milwaukee's Third Ward is now open. Our Girl About Town was there for the grand opening and took a look at the rooftop lounge.
The Kimpton Journeyman Hotel (310 E. Chicago St.) opened Thursday, June 30, making this the first Kimpton hotel in Milwaukee and the first hotel in the Historic Third Ward. The nine-story red brick building occupies the corner of Chicago and Broadway and was built from the ground up, though it looks original to the block – a deliberate aesthetic choice.
Hotel management and city leadership, including Mayor Tom Barrett, were on hand to commemorate the opening of the hotel, just in time for the masses that migrate to the area for Summerfest. In true Milwaukee fashion, Mayor Barrett cut a vine of hops, in place of the standard red ribbon, and Kevin Wright of Menomonee Valley’s Third Space Brewing (set to open in August) tapped a keg – at 10 a.m.!
The 158-room hotel has an interior feel that I can only describe as “warm industrial” – lots of raw materials like wood, granite and leather, paired with large, glowing light fixtures, a fireplace and bench seating in the lobby. New York-based interior design firm Warren Red paid special attention to include details inspired by the city’s history, like chests in the guest rooms with engine numbers from Milwaukee’s old locomotives.
Here are a few highlights of the hotel:
- The street-level Tre Rivali restaurant, featuring Mediterranean-style contemporary American cuisine and former “Top Chef” contestant Heather Terhune as its executive chef. Now serving breakfast and dinner, with lunch service starting August 14.
- The Outsider, a 5,000-square-foot rooftop lounge, boasts incredible views of the city and seating for 164. Craft cocktails, plush seating, fireplaces, heaters and retractable glass walls make it cozy now and when the cooler temps roll in. It opens daily at 4:00 p.m. and be forewarned, the space fills up fast.
- Free use of custom-made leather backpacks for guests, created from locally sourced leather by Milwaukee artisan Heather Hambrecht. Backpacks come with curated itineraries for two, four or full-day excursions and space to be filled with provisions or treasures you find from your favorite Third Ward shops.
- Complimentary bike rentals, in-room yoga mats and 24-hour access to the fitness center. Guests will be invited to a complimentary weekly strength, movement and parkour class led by celebrity trainer from Adam Von Rothfelder every Tuesday at 7:00 a.m. beginning July 12
- A hosted nightly beer/wine hour in the Living Room on the main level
- Pet-friendly amenities that includes pet bowl and pet bed for four-legged guests
- Meeting and event space on the second floor and rooftop, including the grand Assembly Hall Ballroom that fits up to 180
The Journeyman’s name is meant to honor those who spend years traveling the world and honing their craft, and is geared toward the traveler seeking out urban adventure.
Chicago-land native and General Manager Patrick Gaskin says: “From locals seeking something fresh and new, to out-of- town guests eager to learn more about Brew City, The Kimpton Journeyman team is here ensure the moment guests arrive they feel taken care of and appreciated; like family.”
The Journey definitely feels like home. The average daily rate will be just under $200 during the hotel’s first year. With prices like that it’s the perfect spot for an urban stay-cation or to impress your guests.
For more information or to book your stay, click here.