1. Create a playlist of songs that are special to the two of you. Use your modern “mixtape” as a sweet way to show your Valentine how much you care. Include his or her favorites, along with tunes that have meaning for you both.
2. Get creative at Splash Studio’s Red Hot Love Fest. From Feb. 9-18, make colorful paintings that fit together to create one large image while enjoying champagne and sweet heart lollipops.
3. Send your mate off to work with a goodie bag of croissants and a thermos of coffee. Include a secret note inside the bag.
4. Pack a picnic basket filled with items you both enjoy, then choose a special place to feast on it – perhaps some off-season tailgating in the Brewers’ parking lot, or park in Lakeshore State Park and eat in the car, enjoying the expansive view of Lake Michigan.
5. Write a sweet message in the snow. Valentine’s Day cards are touching, but expected. Instead, use Wisconsin’s winter terrain to your advantage. Don’t forget to take an Instagram photo and tag your Valentine for a surprise.
6. Enjoy a delicious Valentine’s dinner at one of the many high-quality restaurants our dining critic reviewed in 2017.
7. Relive a favorite memory. Recreate your first date, from where you went to the food you ordered. Your sweetheart is sure to be impressed by all the little details you remember.
8. Show your sweetie just how sweet they are. Head to one of Milwaukee’s many chocolateries and pick out some treats for each other.
9. Tie a big red bow around a six-pack of your loved one’s favorite beer. Sure, champagne is romantic, but a true Milwaukeean will choose a brew over bubbly any day.
10. Spend an evening under the stars at Daniel M. Soref Planetarium’s “Romancing the Stars” Valentine’s show. The planetarium date will take couples on a tour of the universe and its “constellations of love,” complete with a red rose and box of chocolates.
11. Lace up your ice skates and glide hand-in-hand through Red Arrow Park’s Slice of Ice rink. Afterwards, cozy up together with a hot drink at the Starbucks next door.