Every year, the Milwaukee Press Club gives out the Gridiron Awards, honoring Wisconsin press outlets for writing, design and more. This year, Milwaukee Magazine was nominated for 10 awards, including Best Personal Profile, Best Single Story or Feature Design and Best Long Soft Feature. The awards cover print and digital stories, designs and illustrations, and you can read/see them all here.
Join us for a live conversation about maximizing the benefits of your Health Savings Account. Associated Bank’s CFA and VP of Investment Portfolio Management Lora Olenchek and SVP and Director of HSA and Health Benefits Melissa Hukriede will share expert tips and answer your questions.
1. Beyond Basketball (GOLD: Best Short Hard Feature Story)
FEBRUARY 2021 | BY RICH ROVITO
The Bucks’ stand after the Jacob Blake shooting made national headlines, but the franchise has walked the walk on social justice issues for years.
2. Colonies: On Wasps and Kyle Rittenhouse (GOLD: Best Single Editorial, Statement of Editorial Position or Opinion)
NOV. 23 | BY DASHA KELLY HAMILTON
Just as so many of us reflexively recoil at a buzzing wasp, this boy and his sympathizers have been conditioned to prefer and preserve the America that protects her white boys foremost and at any cost.
3. Out of Asia (GOLD: Best Single Story or Feature Design)
AUGUST 2021 | DESIGN BY PAUL JOHN HIGGINS
Our city is known for being a melting pot of Western European immigrant cuisines. More recently, that melting pot has grown to include many regional Asian styles of cooking – which equates to more tantalizing diversity. For people who love bright, complex flavors, this is one of our richest culinary stories ever.
4. This Shirt-Shredding Bucks Fan Is Definitely Getting Noticed (GOLD: Best Online Sports Story)
JULY 19 | BY RICH ROVITO
Dan Roberts is helping bring the “Bucks in Six” energy to Fiserv Forum these playoffs.
5. Burger Queen: The Gospel of Valerie Daniels Carter (SILVER: Best Personal Profile)
MARCH 2021 | BY ELLY FISHMAN
Valerie Daniels-Carter is one of the nation’s most successful fast-food franchisers – and a philanthropist, inspirational speaker and even would-be Milwaukee Doe.
6. How-To Wisconsin (SILVER: Best Long Soft Feature Story; SILVER: Best Illustration or Cartoon)
MARCH 2021 | STORY BY LINDSEY ANDERSON, ANN CHRISTENSON AND CHRIS DROSNER; ILLUSTRATION BY TOBATRON
Wisconsin, how do we love thee? Here, we’ll count the ways, embracing the quirks, traditions and cultural outputs found on this beautiful hunk of land between the Mississippi and Lake Michigan. Will there be cheese, er no? Oh heck yes – and beer! And to wrap up, sharpen your pencil and wits for a trust test of your Wisconsin-ness.
7. The Ryder Cup Comes to Wisconsin (BRONZE: Best Multi-Story Coverage of a Single Feature Topic or Event)
SEPTEMBER 2021 | BY RICH ROVITO
2021 marked the first time the Ryder Cup was ever held in Wisconsin. More than 40,000 golf fans flocked to Whistling Straits in Sheboygan County as the 43rd Ryder Cup got underway.
8. Perfect, Perfect, Perfect: This Wisconsin Man Made Bowling History at Classic Lanes (BRONZE: Best Sports Story)
APRIL 2021 | BY RICH ROVITO
Tony Roventini’s 900 series in Greenfield 23 years ago was one for the record books.
9. How This Wisconsinite Became a World-Class Skydiver (BRONZE: Best Online Sports Story)
SEPT. 7 | BY RICH ROVITO
Elliot Byrd helped the U.S. win a gold medal at the World Parachuting Championships.