Just a 20-minute drive north of the heart of Downtown, the Schlitz Audubon Nature Center offers trees, shoreline and plenty of birds. Check out these top five things to do while you’re there.
1. Get a birds-eye view. As tall as a 6-story building perched atop the bluff, the 60-foot observation tower provides panoramic views of the forest canopy below, as well as the vast blue horizon formed by Lake Michigan.
2. Have a Word with a Bird. That’s the name of the program that takes place each Saturday, from 1-2 p.m. You’ll meet an eagle, owl or one of the 16 other rescued raptors that reside at the center, and find out the details of its habits, and some of the issues that impinge on these birds.
3. Explore a pond. Tucked throughout the grounds are numerous ponds of various sizes where the careful observer can see fish, amphibians, reptiles and invertebrates. Maximize your experience by joining one of the many walks led by the center’s knowledgeable educators and volunteers.
4. Get away from it all. Kick off your shoes and walk the sandy beach, and you’ll feel like you’ve left the city far behind. Sheltered by a bluff, this scenic spot is the perfect place to lay down a blanket and meditate on nature.
5. Bring a child. There’s no better way to invigorate your senses and see the world fresh than to share the experience with a young person.