Morning Links for Sept. 19, 2013
A weird tourist attraction, a vow of silence, and the happiest cities in America.
Docs say the first meal is the most important of the day. But combine it with Morning Links, and you've really got the Breakfast of Champions.
- The National Book Award Longlist for Fiction was announced this morning. Click here for the nominees.
- Looking for a tourist attraction like no other? There would be the Haw Par Villa, a theme park in Singapore that pays homage to Chinese mythology. The 76-year-old park was built by the same brothers who developed Tiger Balm ointment. Among of the park’s 1,000 attractions is a diorama of a woman breastfeeding an old lady.
- Actor/singer Zac Efron, of High School Musical fame, reportedly completed a recent stint in rehab. But it’s not his only trip to a treatment facility. So says a story in the New York Daily News.
- There’s something to be said for a quiet meal. A dining establishment in Brooklyn recently hosted a pop-up dinner where participants took a “vow of silence” during the meal. Hear that?
- How happy are you? Fast Company released a list of the “10 Happiest Cities in America.” Might surprise you which city is number one.