Cut Lines for May 31, 2013
All the fashion news that's fit to link.
This week in fashion news includes one deliciously dishy interview with Oscar de la Renta and some lead up to the CFDA awards. Think I missed something?
- A Business of Fashion columnist contemplates Indian fashion and the rise of Indian film stars on the red carpet. "Right now, in India, we are gagging for an overhaul in the way women are represented in the media," she writes.
- BoF also has a quick peek at the 2013 Central St. Martin's student fashion show.
- WWD's Bridget Foley gets a legendary interview with Oscar de la Renta, who will receive the CDFA's Founders Award at the Trovas on Monday. While he's happy to receive the award, he says he would have rather been up for Women's Wear Designer of the Year. He also has some thoughts on the glamorization of young designer talent: "'Today, there are a lot of designers who are famous before they have sold one single dress. I think that that’s wrong.'" And then he dishes on Marlene Dietrich.
- Speaking of the annual CFDA awards, you can find this year's batch of nominees here. The New York Times' Eric Wilson put together an "overly insider" (his words) guide to picking the winners.
- Lastly, another delightful tumblr, Sh*t Bloggers Wear, features some delightful black and white illustrations of accessories commonly found on the species known as fashion bloggers. Enjoy.
- In local news, Bayshore Town Center is getting a slew of new fashion retailers including Gap-owned Altheta and Ulta Beauty. Workout buffs and beauty gurus, rejoice.