1. Slightly sour, spreadable Quark cheese, is made at Clock Shadow Creamery in Walker’s Point.
2. Uplands Cheese Company’s Pleasant Ridge Reserve, an award-winner several times over, owes its complex, musty flavor to an up-to-15-months aging process.
3. Bleu Mont Dairy’s earthy bandaged cheddar is aged in cedar board-lined caves.
4. Evalon, made by LaClare Farms, is a Gouda-style aged goat cheese.
5. Sartori’s nutty, firm Black Pepper BellaVitano has attributes of both cheddar and Parmesan.
6. The dense, supremely smooth Dunbarton, by Roelli Cheese Haus, is like an elegant, blue-veined cheddar.
7. Petit Frère is the smaller version of Crave Brothers’ semi-soft, delicately funky Les Frères.*
8. The tangy Marieke Gouda, by Holland’s Family Cheese, won top honors in the 2013 U.S. Championship Cheese Contest.
9. Ethereally light, Driftless sheep’s milk cheese, by Hidden Springs Creamery, is a creamy, mellow topping for crackers.
*Update: July 5, 2013:
Crave Brothers issued a voluntary recall of Les Frères, Petit Frère and Petit Frère with Truffles cheeses after they were linked to a possible listeria outbreak.